Sunday, September 13, 2009

Realization

Today I was at a bridal shower for my fiancee, meeting relatives from her side of the family whom none of us have ever met before. There were plenty of introductions, and among them came the inevitable question of "what do you do for a living?"

Do you know how embarrassing it was to have to tell people that I make a living selling video games to people? I have a university education. I have a Bachelor's Degree in English. All this really means is that I can correct people on their uses of "there" and "they're," as well as tell you who wrote Animal Farm and 1984. I took this job to pay the bills until I could find a better one; that was almost a year ago.

It's time for me to expand my skill set. After the wedding, when I can afford it, I'm going to start taking night classes or correspondence courses so I can start a career in either software development or information management. Don't get me wrong: I love working around video games, and my job is actually the most positive work environment I've ever had. It's just so damned humiliating to look at myself now and realize that selling video games is all I really do with my life.

3 comments:

  1. Could be worse man. I have two degrees and need to sign a few letters after my name, but I'm still just selling electronics and haven't bills low enough to consider expanding on my training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the "two" degrees part, your situation sounds pretty familiar.

    At least you're still writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you who wrote Animal Farm and 1984 without having an English degree. =P

    Just joshing, gl.

    ReplyDelete