Friday, September 11, 2009

Just My Opinion Reviews - The Darkness (XBOX 360)

The Darkness is a game I hold near and dear to my heart, not only is it my favorite comic book series, but it was also the first game I ever got for my 360.

The game is somewhat parallel to the comic book where you play as Jackie Estacado, a hit man for the Franchetti Crime Family. The game starts on Jackie’s iconic 21st birthday where he receives the living power of the Darkness (voiced by Mike Patton, lead singer of Faith No More......applause) whose goal seems to be to take over the world......now, it’s cool that they have the Darkness constantly speaking to you and guiding you down the grey path, but, the Darkness never really talked all that much in the comic book, let alone had it’s own agenda to take over the world. From the moment the Darkness takes you it’s pretty much it’s own story, that being said I had hoped to see the Angelus in a boss fight or even a nod to it’s existence. However, even though the story completely takes it’s own direction, I respect it for putting it’s own spin on the comic.

Gameplay is something I was originally worried about. I really did not know how the game was going to blend gunplay and all out anal rape with the darkness powers like in the comic. I was happy to actually feel as though I was wielding the powers of darkness while still maintaining my badass hit man status. The only problem I had with the gameplay was the fact that you really are not as powerful as your comic book counterpart.

The Audio and Video in this game are truly spectacular, the Darkness itself looks scary as hell, the environments are believable, even the sound of your dark snake manifestation eating someone's heart is disgustingly realistic. Although I kind of wished that New York (for it being the city that never sleeps) to have more than 10 people in each area.

Multiplayer is where The Darkness falls flat on it’s ass, if you go online there are about 20 people that ever play it, and if you manage to get inside a match, good luck with the massive lag.......just good luck.

Overall, The Darkness is a very enjoyable game. Even though it is far from perfection, I highly praise The Darkness for making a true horror game where YOU are the horror. If you don’t agree with my review, just remember that this is just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment